I feel like shrimp & grits has been going around the neighborhood! Like a cold… one person made it & then everyone got the craving… including me!
After I made bone broth from the snapper I baked, I just knew this was the week to make this dish! The fish bone broth turned out rich & garlicy with hints of lemon. Yum! I used riced cauliflower for my grits, wild caught shrimp, bacon, onions, a little coconut aminos and a jazzy mix of nightshade free herbs & spices!
Yields Serves 2-3
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 3 slices uncured, nightshade free bacon
- 1lb peeled, clean, wild caught shrimp
- Shrimp spice mix:
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup bone broth (I recommend fish bone)
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Start by ricing your cauliflower (remove greens and shred with cheese grater or food processor), and mincing your garlic.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium sized pot.
- Add in garlic & cauliflower, coconut aminos, marjoram, 1 tsp black pepper and bay leaves.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth.
- Stir well and cover.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium & cover.
- Let it simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- In the meantime, cook bacon in a large skillet, I like mine crispy, I cook it in cast iron, on medium high about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove bacon from skillet and lower heat to medium.
- Slice onion in ¼ inch slices and add in to skillet.
- Lower heat again, to medium-low.
- Stir the onions occasionally.
- After about 8 minutes, they should be tender and sweet.
- Bring heat back up to medium-high and throw in shrimp with spice mix.
- Stir frequently until the shrimp are pink and coiled.
- Remove from heat.
- Chop bacon in to small pieces.
- You can also use parsley, cilantro or chives to garnish.
- Serve cauli-grits in bowl, top with a heaping portion of onion & shrimp.
- Lemon or lime on the side.
- Sprinkle with bacon & herbs.