I bought some pepitas (peppy-tas) yesterday. I was really excited. I’ve kept my seed/nut intake to the few that I know I CAN eat without reaction. But recently I think I’ve reached another level of healing. I feel like I’m playing a video game and as I keep going on this Paleo Super Mario I gain powers like the ability to eat nuts, or run longer, lift heavier, eat pumpkin seeds. Ha! Weird analogy? Maybe. But it’s exciting when you feel healthy and you can trust your body to not freak out when you eat something new.
Making little meatloaves in muffin tins is where it’s at! They cook in half the time, they’re already portioned out and they’re freaking adorable. I like to add a little topping on there. Add a little starchy, crispy goodness and you’ve got a little meal in a muffin tin. These are perfect with a green salad. Dinner ready in 30 minutes from prep to table.
The grated green plantain is so yum! Looking almost like those tiny little fries that came in a can, you know the ones they put on burgers? I forget the name, but mixed with a little coconut oil and garlic these crispy shredded plantain bits come close!
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1 tsp toasted cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large green plantain
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Grate the plantain and garlic cloves, I used the grater attachment to my food processor to prep all the veggies and it took no time.
- Set aside, toss with a little oil and salt.
- Next grate or mince the onion.
- Mix with turkey, egg, pepitas, rest of the salt, pepper and cumin.
- Lightly oil 6-7 of the slots in the muffin pan.
- Distribute the ground turkey mix between all of them, they should be full.
- Then with your fingers top each turkey cup with a mount of shredded plantain mix.
- Put in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Use a spatula and run it around the edges of the muffin tins before gently removing the mini meatloaves from their cups.