Ahi tuna is one of my favorite fish for it’s exquisite texture and mild flavor that lends it well for raw or seared dishes. Ahi tuna salad & poke bowls are frequent around here. Ahi is big in Hawai’i and I’m not complaining. Even if you’re not a sushi aficionado, give Ahi a try!
This salad is easy to make & extremely satisfying. Once you make this at home you will never pay $20 for it at a restaurant again, you’ll just make it yourself.
This will make one large salad or two appetizer sized salads.
Serves serves 1-2
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/2 lb Ahi block, sashimi grade
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 head Lettuce
- 1/4 Maui onion Onion
- 1/2 has Avocado
- 2 stalks celery
- Lemons wedge
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Mix sesame seeds, salt & pepper & place on a plate.
- With clean hands, gently press your ahi steak down on sesame mix on each side, until evenly coated.
- Heat skillet on medium high, when hot, add coconut oil.
- With tongs, place ahi steak on hot skillet.
- Cook one minute each side (time it or count it out).
- Remove from skillet, set on cutting board to settle.
- In the mean time, chop your lettuce, shave celery & onion, mix in a bowl or place.
- Halve a ripe avocado, peel the side without the seed, slice thinly & place over bed of greens. Sprinkle with salt & sesame seed mix.
- Squeeze lemon over salad too.
- With a very sharp knife, slice your ahi steak in 1/4 inch slices.
- Arrange over salad & drizzle with coconut aminos.
- Enjoy delightfully healthy, easy yet complex tasting meal.
- Those are my favorite kind.