Sweet Potato Toast Is The New Black
Yeah, I guess it’s debatable if these crunchy sweet potato rounds topped with yummy things are even “toasts” but the way I see it, who cares what it’s called, it’s delicious. Also, if calling it toast makes it “okay” to eat with my hands… it’s freaking toast. Who doesn’t love finger foods amiright!?!
All Things Primal Blueprint (Primal Kitchen Co.) Are Golden
I’ve been low-carbing it lately, paleo style of course- which means plenty of fat, protein and colorful (lows starch) vegetables. I feel like my best self. I follow the macro nutrient recommendations from The Primal Blueprint. Not only do I feel reinvigorated, with abundant and stable energy, regular digestion & better sleep… I feel lighter too. I’ve ditched the scale, but I just feel over lighter on my feet. Mark Sisson is on to something! Ps. If you see the banner at the top of my page…. buy three books and get 25% off! If you want to be convinced that The Primal Blueprint is worth it, read my review here.
So I’m a Primal Blueprint affiliate, as I’m sure you can tell with all the swag on my page! But I don’t promote anything I don’t personally use/love.
Also… I get these awesome emails with awesome deals from them… so here’s a list of ways you can save mula while shopping primal:
GROK15: 15% off site wide*
*Coupon does not apply to The Primal Blueprint Expert Certification and Gold or Platinum Packages, and only applies to first orders in monthly subscriptions.
FREEPRO: Buy Primal Fuel, get free Primal Probiotics.
OMEGAS: Buy Damage Control Master Formula, get free Primal Omegas.
CALMFREE: Buy 2 Primal Calm, get 1 free.
PROFREE: Buy 2 Primal Flora, get 1 free.
OMEGAS2: Buy 2 Primal Omegas, get 1 free.
The Main Event
Ok. Now on to the toast! From the bottom up:
Thin sliced, lengthwise Japanese sweet potato. Also knows as yam, boniato or yamma. You may use whichever variation you prefer of have on hand.
Primal Kitchens Mayo. Short of homemade mayo, I don’t recommend any other paleo brand. This mayo is by far the best tasting store bought mayo I have ever had.
Crispy Pancetta & Leeks. You may use bacon or prosciutto too. Anything that’s fatty and gets crispy will do.
Cilantro. I love cilantro, but fresh dill, basil or parsley would work too.
Only using about a third of the sweet potato, and loaded with protein & fat this meal is macro nutrient perfection, and just plain delectable.
I love the Japanese sweet potato toast for this because it’s not as sweet at the garnet variation and it tends to be firmer and get’s crispy in no time.
A nice layer of mayo, spread thick and topped with a winning combination of sweet leeks, salty pancetta and fresh zucchini. Your taste buds will thank you.
- 1/3 of a medium Japanese sweet potato (3 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 ounces pancetta
- 1 to 2 tbsp Primal Kitchens Mayo
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks
- 6-9 zucchini ribbons
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cooking fat (avocado oil, bacon fat, coconut oil)
- Prep all of the vegetables: begin by slicing your sweet potato, lengthwise in to 4, 1/4 inch slices.
- Next, using a potato peeler, again lengthwise on a large zucchini, make 6-9 ribbons.
- Try not to peel on the same spot over and over, as you reach the center to the seeds the ribbons will become tattered. Instead, rotate your zucchini as you peel of ribbons to get nice, thick even ribbons.
- Thinly slice leek. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt a tbsp of fat, on medium-high heat.
- Add in sweet potato slices. Cook 3-4 minutes a side until well toasted a crispy.
- Remove from heat, add in the pancetta to the same skillet.
- Stir occasionally until it released some fat and begins to crisp.
- Add leeks to the skillet and stir well.
- Let them cook together, stirring often until pancetta is very crispy and the leeks are tender.
- Smear a nice thick layer of mayo on each slice of toasted sweet potato.
- Arrange 1-2 zucchini ribbons on each piece.
- Roll the ribbons in to spirals and as you place the spiral on the toast, let out some of it and stick the tail end in to the mayo to help it stand.
- Create a pretty pattern with them!
- Sprinkle pancetta and leek mix all over the toasts, getting them inside the zucchini spirals.
- Garnish with cilantro.