Fun fact: my dad’s a butcher & my step dad is Argentine… So girl knows how to grill. This bison tri-tip is medium rare perfection & bursting with flavor! I’m a big fan of focusing on what I CAN eat, and really enjoying it. A beautiful piece of meat is no exception.
Orange Marinated Bison Tri-Tip
1 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1.5lb bison tri tip
- *note you can also use grass fed beef tri-tip, I like bison because it's often a more affordable grass fed option!
- 1 large naval orange
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil or lard (I use fatworks) + more for basting
- 1 small onion
- Place tri tip in a bowl or container.
- Peel and slice an onion.
- Rub meat down with fat.
- Sprinkle tri tip with salt and garlic powder all over.
- Squeeze orange in to bowl, add coconut aminos, then onion.
- Toss and mix, rubbing down meat.
- Cover and place in fridge for an hour (or until you’re ready to cook, even overnight).
- Remove meat from fridge at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat one side of your grill to 450F.
- You're going to grill it a few minutes on each side of the meat, once it begins to cook it will get it's triangle shape and have three sides.
- Place tri-tip on the hot side and brush with fat.
- Close lid and cook for 6 minutes.
- Turn it to the second side.
- Brush with fat again, and close the lid, cook for another 6 minutes.
- Turn over to the third side and cook for 3 minutes.
- Move to cold side of the grill, opposite the side that was turned on.
- Lower the heat on the side that is on to low.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes. Turnover.
- Remove from grill.
- Let it sit another 5 minutes before slicing.
- We had this with sliced radishes tossed in olive oil & fresh mint.