Now that the summer months are almost a memory, as the weather begins to cool down it’s time for those hearty, oven recipes! This Jack Pie, lovingly named so after my son is delicious! I shared this recipe when I hosted the Whole30 Instagram forever ago and it’s been a hit. I thought I’d give it it’s proper home on the blog.
Why Jack? Well, it’s a Shepherd’s pie type dish with Cuban flavors… So half Irish, half Cuban, like my son. Bonus this version is a one skillet wonder.
Get down with this Whole30 compliant, AIP friendly, Cuban-Irish skillet… it’s good for ya!
- 2lbs grass fed ground beef
- Seasoning: 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP), 1/2 tsp turmeric , 1 tsp lemon pepper (lemon zest for AIP), 1 tsp onion powder, 2 tbsp ground mushroom powder, 1 tbsp Italian herb blend, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp beef gelatin (optional)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup fresh kale leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 bunch cilantro &/or parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl mix meat with seasoning blend. Set aside.
- Slice onion, dice sweet potato in to 1/4 inch cubes & chop kale.
- In a 8 inch cast iron (oven safe) skillet heat coconut oil.
- Add in onions & cook on medium high heat until tender.
- Then add in sweet potato. Stir well. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water & cover skillet. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add kale on top. Cover again & let it simmer until kale is wilted, aprx. 3 minutes.
- When sweet potato is fork tender, carefully transfer sweet potato-kale mix to a food processor.
- While skillet is still hot, add meat to the skillet, stir, breaking up meat with spatula until it's browned & crumbly.
- Lower heat, and let it simmer while you pulse the sweet potato together with coconut flour in food processor.
- Chop up herbs, add half of them to meat, add raisins & beef gelatin.
- Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Using a spatula, spread sweet potato mix over the top of the meat, start in the middle and spread it outward toward the edges.
- It will be bubbly & liquidy so handle with care when transferring to oven.
- Place in oven, bake for 30 minutes. Serve.
- Garnish with the rest of the herbs.
Love this pic from @AmyEats, her family loved this recipe <3