I love me some slow roasted pork! I bought a 10 lb prime cut pork shoulder butt, no bone. So big! But I figured I would portion it out and freeze what we didn’t eat that day- but obviously it’s best served fresh out of the oven…. did someone say potluck?
So good. Definitely a crowd pleaser, easy to make & paleo/whole 30 compliant- but you don’t have to tell that to your guests 😉
Serves 15- 20 servings
1 hrPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
7 hrTotal Time
- 10 lb prime cut pork shoulder
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 4 tbsp garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- Roasting rack, sheet pan.
- In a small bowl mix all seasoning together.
- Place pork on parchment paper (enough to wrap it in).
- You don't really RUB in rubs, it's more of a pat down.
- Add seasoning generously and evenly all over pork, in the folds etc. Pat it on there, and on thick. Stuff bay leaves in side and on top.
- Wrap it up and set in fridge overnight.
- 5 hours before serve time: Remove pork from fridge 45 minutes before cooking to bring to room temp.
- Set rack on second to last level in your oven.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Set pork on roasting rack and place rack on sheet pan.
- When oven is ready, roast on 450F for 45 minutes.
- Lower heat to 250F and cook for another 3-5 hours, internal temp should read 190F-220F
- Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes.
- When cooled, pour fat out of sheet pan, in to a cup.
- Use the sheet pan to pull the pork.
- Pour pan drippings all over it & toss.