Chocolate Cake for Jane Ruby ♥️ I made this cake for a very special little girl. I love this cake. I have made it for a lot of kids now, they love it to– with berries or peanut butter, it’s always a hit. I made Jane’s 1st birthday cake too. It was the beginning of my baking journey. Before then I was a “I just cook, I don’t bake”. It took a while to perfect some recipes, to produce healthy, decadent desserts- to work around food restrictions without restricting flavor or texture. This cake is a perfect example of that, it really has is all… except wheat flour & refined sugar!
Serves Serves 12-15
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- (that is my go to gluten free flour blend)
- ½ cup raw honey or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or you can use fruit sucrose or maple sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, I use Nativas raw cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso finely ground OR 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk (cow milk or almond) at room temp
- ½ cup vegetable oil- or melted coconut oil- room temp
- 2 eggs- room temp
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 sticks grass fed butter- softened to room temperature, salted
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring
- Add flours, xanthan gum, sugar (if using honey don't add until wet ingredients are added), cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whisk to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir flour mixture until combined.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, (and honey) and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined, 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter.
- Beat on high speed for about 1 minute.
- Distribute evenly between cake pans.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Sift cocoa powder to remove lumps set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add honey, vanilla and cinnamon & cocoa mix until just combined & smooth.
- If you like it sweeter add more honey.
- If you like chocolate-peanut butter, you can add a tablespoon or two to this frosting and it's amazing.
- Should be smooth and soft enough to beat but still form peaks to you can decorate.
This recipe makes 2 9' rounds. I don't like to double recipes, I just make two batches.
Prep time for 2 layers 20min Cook time for 2 layers 30-35min
Gluten free & refined sugar free. Moist, super chocolatey & made with lots of love!
Don't keep it in the fridge, fridges kill cakes. Keep in a cool dry place, if you have a cake keeper, even better