Pictured: Grass Fed Burger with baby spinach, grilled onions, asparagus & cilantro aioli on a paleo choux bun!
No one likes a limp & soggy french fry… yet it’s often the case when you make homemade fries.
Without using processed fries or hydrogenated oil!
This process works for both red skin or russet potatoes, as well as SWEET POTATOES!
Serves serves 4
40 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Clean kitchen towel
- Large heavy bottom pot (I use my cast iron dutch oven)
- Wire mesh colander
- Paper towel lined plate
- Large bowl
- 2 medium red skin potatoes
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp seasoning mix (I used Flavor God Garlic Lover's)
- salt to taste
- Wash & dry your potato.
- Slice in to 1/4 inch thick slices, the length of the potato.
- Soak cut fries in cold water for 30min (up to 1 hour).
- Drain & dry thoroughly, with clean kitchen towel.
- I like to toss them and the spread them out on the towel and pat dry.
- In large bowl toss your potatoes with seasoning, salt & tapioca.
- Heat oil in heavy bottom pot, on high.
- Use a wooden spoon to check if the oil is ready. When it sizzles you can add fries.
- It will take a few minutes to get hot enough. If your oil is smoking a lot, lower heat to medium.
- Cook only an handful of fries at a time (2 potatoes will yield about 4 handfuls).
- Use tongs to spread them out in the oil. They might not be fully submerged, that's ok. Once you see the bottom of the fries have started to turn golden/light brown, use the tongs to turn them over.
- Once they are lightly browned all over, take them out of the oil a few at a time and place them in colander, give it a few shakes over the frying pan then transfer fries to the plate.
- Repeat until all fries have been fried once.
- If you are serving right away- continue with the second fry- if the rest of the meal isn't quite ready yet.
- Lower oil heat to medium-low and keep fries set aside until you're ready to serve.
- For the second fry, you can do it in two batches. Raise oil temp to high, give the fries another 1-2 minutes until they're deep golden/brown.
- Again, remove from oil with tongs & toss in colander to dry. Serve immediately!
- I like to use fun sauces like cilantro aioli, sage mayo & honey mustard for dipping!