What’s not to love about fried chicken? It’s crunchy, juicy, flavorful & perfect for dipping in sauce!
While I often bake my chicken, last night I decided on a flash fry with an oven finish. This way all of the chicken was very crunchy & toasty.
I usually use almond meal for my breading, after perusing The Primal Low Carb Kitchen I was inspired to try ground pork rinds! It’s rather genius!
Ok, let’s make some fried chicken!
Yields Serves 2-3
8 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
23 minTotal Time
- 5-7 pieces skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup crispy pork rinds
- 2 cups hazelnut meal
- 1 tsp Flavor God pink peppercorn & Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp Flavor God garlic lovers
- 2 eggs, beat
- 3 cups coconut oil
- Heavy bottom pot (I used my Lodge Cast Iron dutch oven)
- Sheet pan
- Heat oil in pot on medium high to aprx 375F.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In the meant time, pulse pork rids, hazelnut meal & seasoning in a food processor to combine. Pour out on to a large plate.
- In a bowl beat eggs.
- Dredge chicken in eggs then in breading mix and place on a clean plate until ready to fry.
- You only need to coat the thighs once, just make sure they are evenly coated.
- Once inserting a wooden spoon in the oil makes it sizzle you're ready to start frying.
- Fry 3 pieces of chicken at a time, about 30-60 seconds per side.
- Then grab with tongs, tap out oil and place on sheet pan.
- Put the sheet pan in the oven. Cook another 3 pieces of chicken, repeat and place on sheet pan.
- Once all your chicken is in the oven let it bake at 400F for 10 minutes, then turn off heat.
- If your'e not ready to serve yet let the chicken stay in the hot oven without opening it until ready.
- Serve with wing sauce or honey mustard! and lots of veggies