I was texting with my aunt today, she is struggling with going full AIP. She was asking me what kind of pastas she can eat because she just made a delicious vegetable marsala sauce and wanted a hot meal. After explaining to her that autoimmune protocol means no grains or eggs, and that pretty much leaves out all store bought pasta-like foods, I suggested my two favorite noodle replacements: sautéed zoodles & of course, spaghetti squash!
So my day goes on, successful Costco trip and all, then suddenly I find myself serving my kid Tolerant Green Lentil pasta, which is great for little man because it’s veggies & protein all in one! But not so much for super hungry, almost hangry mama.
Saved by the bell! My awesome neighbor Val, shows up with mushroom for me, and it reminded me of my aunts Marsala. While my cupboard is Marsala-less at the moment, I did have a glug of 1800 Blanco on hand! The great thing about cooking with booze is that the alcohol burns off, just leaving behind flavor, so it’s safe! I swear, Paleo Mom says so! Her page is my go to when I have any questions, about anything. Ever.
I popped my spaghetti squash halves in the oven (seeded, coated in fat at 400F for 40 minutes).
Armed with mushrooms, I gathered the rest of my ingredients, grass fed ground beef, Maui onion, garlic, Italian herb mix, tapioca flour, tallow, chicken stock…. The rest just kind of came together. Not exactly chicken Marsala like… and not exactly beef bourguignon…but fast, easy & oh so delicious.
Yields Serves 2
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- I1lb grass fed ground beef
- ½ cup tequila blanca
- 1 small Maui or Vidalia onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. Italian herb mix
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp. sea salt + 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. tapioca flour
- 5 Kalamata olives, pitted & diced
- 6 Ali’i mushrooms (or shiitake)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 tbsp beef tallow
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- Firstly prepare all your ingredients, measure out seasonings and liquids.
- Finely dice onions, garlic and mushrooms etc.
- In a large skillet heat tallow on medium-high.
- When cooking fat is hot add in mushrooms and cook, stirring often for 3-5 minutes, then add in garlic & onions.
- Cook, stirring often until onion becomes translucent.
- Add in bay leaves, olives, coconut aminos and all the seasonings.
- Add in ground meat and break up with spatula.
- Mix well until meat is browned and crumbly. About 5 minutes.
- Add in tequila and let it quickly boil, then add in chicken stock.
- Before it comes to a boil again, whisk in tapioca, you will see the liquid become a few shades lighter and starts to look like gravy.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- This is the time to taste test it and adjust salt or seasoning as needed.
- Turn off heat, cover and let it sit while you prepare the squash.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven (instructions in text), turn over and using 2 forks, carefully scrape down insides of squash.
- The noodle like meat will pile up inside it, turn it out in to a bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil & sea salt.
- Serve beef tequila over the squash and garnish with fresh basil.