Another fun recipe for PRE Brands Grass Fed Beef! I know the verdict is still out on quinoa. Seed? Grain? Seed? Grain? Pseudo-grain? Really?
These are super hearty and tasty and the perfect lunch box item. Also… you can OMIT THE QUINOA and use sesame seeds (or a mix of sesame and flax or chia) seeds instead for a totally paleo and Whole30 compliant version. Whoot Whoot.
Ps. They freeze well. And thaw well in the fridge, or re-heated in the oven. The batch makes 16, and I’d say a generous serving is about 3 bites.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 pound 95% lean pre beef
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 shredded purple cabbage
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mustard seeds
- Heat olive oil in a two quart pot.
- Add in quinoa and salt. Toast the seeds, stirring often for three minutes. Add in the water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cover partially with a lid.
- Let it simmer until the water is evaporated.
- Spread the quinoa out on a sheet pan to cool quickly.
- In a large bowl mix the vegetables and seasonings.
- Add in the quinoa and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the ground beef and mix well. Finally the egg whites and mix until well combined and mushy.
- Shape 16, 1 inch patties.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
- Serve over greens, alone or with homemade mayo for dipping (tip: a great use for the leftover egg yolks).